Pages

April 04, 2012

Going Away

First of all, I know it has been well over a month since my last posting - for that, I apologize. Mommies get busy!

Because I am in the military, there are times where I must say goodbye to my loved ones, my house, my warm, comfortable bed, and the familiarity with my lifestyle. Soon, I am going to be packing up and leaving the area for a little less than two weeks. The first thing that came to my mind when told I would be doing this was my son. I have only ever been apart from him once, and that was for a total of two weeks. While this upcoming trip is just days less than that, it can still be as equally as traumatizing. For the both of us.

The first time I left him was almost a year ago, just one day after his very first birthday. That is what broke my heart the most. He had grown so much, hit such a remarkable milestone and was on the verge of taking his first steps and popping out his first tooth. I did happen to miss his first tooth appearing, but I have been fortunate enough to be there for the rest of them, as well as his first time walking. I can't complain too much.

I am afraid that he will reach another milestone or accomplish something while I am away. I hate missing the types of things he does that require a snapshot or at least his want for mommy to see something he did for the first time. Let's hope and cross our fingers that he holds off on doing anything new and exciting until I get him back in my arms!

I do suppose that there is something I would not mind him learning while I am gone: sleeping the entire night in his own bed. In my previous posts, I ranted about him getting up often in the middle of the night and waking me up at 2, 3, 4am and not much has changed since then. Lately, he has been teething (we are up to 16 teeth now, count 'em!), and so the fever and pain has kept him up; it leaves him whiney and most times inconsolable.

I do regret the fact that I will not be spending Easter with my child, or my family for that matter. This would have been our first Easter all together, but duty calls. I have an Easter basket and an unneccessarily large yellow stuffed duck waiting in the guest bedroom for our own Easter celebration later this week. I am still grateful to be able to spend as much time as I do with my son and husband, and I just have to tell myself that work is work and I have to make some sacrifices here and there.

I hope I can manage my separation anxiety. I know the both of us will experience it within the first couple of days. I will be okay knowing that he is in good care and with people that love him so very much. I hope to hear about all of the exciting and funny things he is showing them. He favors his Grandpa over everyone else anyway.

Last time I left him, his body and vocabularly seemed to have doubled in size. We will see what he learns this time :)

No comments:

Post a Comment